Get the best fit for your maths with LinReg2By Chris Williams. Published: 15th Jan 19:54:30 | Permalink | Printable
Last week Paul Johnson completed LinReg 2, the sucessor to Paul's previous Linear Regression utility. Earlier this month, Paul released a promising beta release before finishing the mathematical utility.
"My original LinReg application was nice. However, it had a few problems..a case of needing something quick and simple", Paul commented during development on the Acorn Education website. LinReg2 is a total code rewrite and features:
- Full data editor. This is a personal favourite and is laid out like a straightforward spreedsheet.
- Full equation editor with trigonmetric fuctions and indices supported.
- Each axis can be processed using functions ranging from trigonmetric to standard mathematical operations.
- Best fit lines can be fully calculated with gradients and intercepts. Standard Deviation and error commentary is also included. More importantly, all this information is a single click away.
- Interactive help, through the built in RISC OS !Help application, is fully supported although you are advised to read the manual before any serious use.
- CSV file export and import supported
"It's smaller, faster and upto 4 times more accurate than Excel", notes Paul in his newsgroup announcement. LinReg2 is ideal for statistical projects and reports and judging from Paul's activities in the RISC OS programming newsgroups, a lot of thought and technique has gone into LinReg2.
Finally, author Paul, (who according to the IRC #riscos member list knows many mindnumbing math problems), has included the original Fortran77 source code and documentation about how LinReg2 does it's stuff.
Linear Regression 2: www.acornusers.org/education/
Previous: Smooth track playing with DataPlayer update
Next: Scrabble for RISC OS:Challenging and graphical desktop fun
DiscussionViewing threaded comments | View comments unthreaded, listed by date | Skip to the end
No comments posted - yet. Post one yourself or come back soon.
Please login before posting a comment. Use the form on the right to do so or create a free account.
Search the archives
Today's featured article
An introduction to IP networks
Part one of masking the 'net
10 comments, latest by Umair on 9/9/04 10:11PM. Published: 4 Sep 2004
New Dutch usergroup to launch
3 comments, latest by hEgelia on 8/9/04 11:47AM. Published: 8 Sep 2004
News and media:
RISCOS Ltd •
RISC OS Open •
MW Software •
Advantage Six •
CJE Micros •
Liquid Silicon •
Chris Why's Acorn/RISC OS collection •
The Register •
The Inquirer •
Apple Insider •
BBC News •
Sky News •
Google News •