RISC OS for Linux project continues with bug fixes and more featuresBy Chris Williams. Published: 10th Feb 23:37:34 | Permalink | Printable
Today Thomas Leonard has continued with his project to bring the RISC OS desktop to Linux by releasing a new version of the ROX filer. This edition is aimed at developers wishing to use the Linux RISC OS-esque desktop. According to Thomas, ROX-Filer is a graphical file manager for Unix/Linux which provides a RISC OS-like interface. It is also the core component of the ROX desktop;
a RISC OS-like desktop for Unix/Linux. The filer also comes with translations for Dutch, French, Italian and Polish.
ROX 1.1.1 now additionally features:
- `Set Icon' menu item allows any file or directory to be displayed using any icon (Diego Zamboni). This means you can set icons for the mount points now.
- Applications can define additional menu items to appear on their popup menus (Diego Zamboni). The syntax will probably change in the next release.
- The pinboard grid step is now configurable (Diego Zamboni).
- Improved compiling - now correctly reports an error if the file doesn't compile. If configure is missing then autoconf is run automatically.
- Allow .DirIcon.png file to set a directory's icon (Diego Zamboni).
- After a Find completes, you are given the option of doing the search again (Anders Lundmark).
- Added two new pinboard options - one to allow setting the grid step size and one to allow icons to go slightly off the side of the screen (Diego Zamboni).
- Numerous bug fixes and an internal update.
- Don't forget the taskmanager and standard RISC OS lookalike applications as well as the fully functional desktop.
The screenshots for ROX are looking very impressive now and the project is growing in popularity. It is certainly worth your while to try it out if you use Linux on a regular basis.
ROX site: rox.sourceforge.net
Icons by Andrzej Borsuk: www.alfaelektro.com.pl/~fred/ROX-Filer/
Previous: The Beginner's Guide to RISC OS: A Valentines story for the RISC OS Explorer 2 release
Next: coderscauldron.com continue RISC OS OpenGL project: 3D graphics system documented
DiscussionViewing threaded comments | View comments unthreaded, listed by date | Skip to the end
No comments posted - yet. Post one yourself or come back soon.
Please login before posting a comment. Use the form on the right to do so or create a free account.
Search the archives
Today's featured article
A9home DIY laptop: first pictures
And other odds and sods from the Christmas 2007 show
22 comments, latest by sa110 on 1/6/08 4:47PM. Published: 1 Dec 2007
RISCOS Ltd. 'adapting to change'
Select 4 future, politics and a fresh direction
30 comments, latest by dgs on 25/11/03 7:35PM. Published: 24 Nov 2003
News and media:
RISCOS Ltd •
RISC OS Open •
MW Software •
Advantage Six •
CJE Micros •
Liquid Silicon •
Chris Why's Acorn/RISC OS collection •
The Register •
The Inquirer •
Apple Insider •
BBC News •
Sky News •
Google News •