32bit RISC OS update: Development news direct from RISC OS Ltd.By Chris Williams. Published: 23rd Feb 18:34:15 | Permalink | Printable
Last Novemeber, Drobe reported on the development of a 32bit RISC OS by RISC OS Ltd. and the OS owners, Pace Micro. The exciting and unsurprising out of the blue announcement today by RISC OS Ltd. is shown below in full for clarity. Just goes to show that behind the closed doors of RISC OS Ltd., development for moving RISC OS to the latest 32bit addressing ARM processors is continuing.
RISC OS Ltd. Press Release: RISC OS 32-bit software forward compatibility release updated version
RISCOS Ltd and Pace Micro Technology plc have today released an updated version of the components required for users of the Acorn C/C++ development environment to produce RISC OS programs that will be compatible with future 32-bit only versions of RISC OS.
The beta software is freely available from the RISCOS Ltd Website at www.riscos.com/download
Before downloading the components users must agree to the terms of a Software License Agreement and provide full details of the machine on which they intend to run the software.
Included in the package are now..
- Shared C Library (5.25)
- CallASWI (0.02)
- FPEmulator (4.14)
- DDT (1.84)
- DDE FrontEnd (1.20)
Note: The FPPC hardware floating point system is no longer supported. New Libraries for C/C++ - c++lib, ANSIlib, flexlib etc
Changes in version 0.2
- The CLib library and object files are now in an "o" directory.
- CMHG now generates code that avoids the StrongARM TEQP+MSR bug.
- Some corrections CMHG's module header alignment when using the message file header.
- The supplied ANSILib is now (believed to be) 32-bit compatible.
- The Overlay Manager is now supplied.
- getenv() now reliable with long strings.
- A 32-bit FrontEnd module is now supplied. This will help prevent the failure case where some FrontEnd instantiations start using the ROM C Library, then later ones try to use a soft-loaded 32-bit library, causing internal inconsistencies.
- A new version of DDT is supplied that can emulate MRS and MSR instructions making debugging of 32-bit programs reliable.
- FrontEnd now displays either VDU 10,13 or VDU 13,10 line-endings correctly.
- _kernel_setenv(varname, NULL) now deletes a system variable, as documented.
- The Shared C Library stubs supplied in version 0.1 were not fully 32-bit compatible. This would only be apparent in failure cases (such as the Shared C Library being unplugged).
- Improved C Library handling of aborts in SVC mode.
All software and documentation is © 2000 Pace Micro Technology plc. Details on the impact of a 32Bit RISC OS can be read here.
Tel 02920 464020
Fax 02920 492326
Previous: Foundation RISC User online: Sample RISC OS Ltd.'s magazine before you buy
Next: Quantum announces free software: From Impression enhancers to overclocking your processor
DiscussionViewing threaded comments | View comments unthreaded, listed by date | Skip to the end
No comments posted - yet. Post one yourself or come back soon.
Please login before posting a comment. Use the form on the right to do so or create a free account.
Search the archives
Today's featured article
Drobe price comparison chart
Checking out the competition
21 comments, latest by govind on 14/11/03 2:15PM. Published: 9 Nov 2003
RiscLua updated to version 4.12
And TextAreas example is bug-fixed too
Discuss this. Published: 1 Mar 2008
News and media:
RISCOS Ltd •
RISC OS Open •
MW Software •
Advantage Six •
CJE Micros •
Liquid Silicon •
Chris Why's Acorn/RISC OS collection •
The Register •
The Inquirer •
Apple Insider •
BBC News •
Sky News •
Google News •