The web getting too much for your older Acorn machine? Not with Richard Murray's QuickVoyBy Chris Williams. Published: 11th Apr 19:13:18 | Permalink | Printable
Getting your old Acorn computer on to the internet is quite tricky considering most of them will, at best, have just 4Mb of RAM. In that 4Mb you'll need to fit in the best part of an ISP dialler, an email and usenet fetcher, an email and usenet reader and a web browser plus all the support and driver modules. Richard Murray's QuickVoy, is an extremely compact and memory efficient frontend to Argonet's internet suite. By loading applications and modules when needed rather than all at once, QuickVoy can help to make the most of your free memory.
According to Richard, this release sees the following improvements:
- Fixed trivial bug in cache scanner, and a not-so-trivial bug dealing with junk in corrupted cache indexes.
- If Dynamic Areas are available, QuickVoy will use these instead of claiming chunks of application memory.
- Today in history. 'tis interesting, especially to just read the data file. It is heavily biased towards science and space exploration.
- If JPEG decoder can't figure recognise the image, it'll toss it over to ChangeFSI. So QuickVoy can display anything ChangeFSI can understand.
- MbxWatch updated [now fully non-blocking].
"QuickVoy basically came about 'cos Voyager's dialler, Fresco, and the various support modules just wouldn't fit into a 4Mb machine without seriously restricting (or totally destroying) its usefulness", Richard explained to Drobe. "In these days of machines being considered woefully underpowered if they have less than 32Mb installed, it is amusing to note what a difference a mere 300K can make, when you really need it."
Previous: ARM Holdings release suprisingly high first quarter results
Next: Wakefield 2001: ExpLAN to unveil solar powered RISC OS machine
DiscussionViewing threaded comments | View comments unthreaded, listed by date | Skip to the end
No comments posted - yet. Post one yourself or come back soon.
Please login before posting a comment. Use the form on the right to do so or create a free account.
Search the archives
Today's featured article
How to create a modern desktop theme
More to life than drab 16 colours of 1994 [Updated]
47 comments, latest by jymbob on 13/10/06 6:38PM. Published: 4 Oct 2006
New utility to search files for text
Gavin Wraith presents Hvor
Discuss this. Published: 28 Oct 2007
News and media:
RISCOS Ltd •
RISC OS Open •
MW Software •
Advantage Six •
CJE Micros •
Liquid Silicon •
Chris Why's Acorn/RISC OS collection •
The Register •
The Inquirer •
Apple Insider •
BBC News •
Sky News •
Google News •