Eight Omega expansion cards revealed: Pentium 3 PC Card anyone?By Chris Williams. Published: 19th May 12:11:08 | Permalink | Printable
drobe.co.uk has today learnt of the exciting details of the first eight Microdigital Omega expansion cards. You'll be impressed to hear that seven out of the eight cards will have RISC OS driver software and will no doubt push the computer's specification through the roof. Microdigital have also it seems put together an Omega support CD featuring utilities taking advantage of their new hardware. The highly awaited Omega computer is expected to be previewed today at Wakefield 2001 and many are hoping to get their hands on the machine some time afterwards.
According to pages 34 and 35 of the June 2001 issue of Acornuser magazine, you can expect to be able to plug the following products into your Omega computer:
- 10/100MBit PCI Ethernet and 10MBit PCI Ethernet
- Both cards have RJ45 connectors while the 10MBit Ethernet card also has a BNC connector.
- PC PCI card
- Basically a top of the range Pentium PC with standard hardware ports, video ports, LAN ethernet and on board memory all on a single PCI card. Future custom software will allow the RISC OS side to interface with this next generation PC card.
- SCSI 1/2 PCI Controller and SCSI 1/2/3 PCI controller
- With transfer rates of up to 40Mb/sec with the SCSI 1/2/3 card, the cards each support no less than seven devices.
- 56k PCI modems
- While the Omega will come fitted with one as standard, two variations of PCI modem will be on offer.
- 32bit Sound card
- Again this will be fitted as standard and uses the Crystal4281 chipset.
Quoting from the Acornuser article, which features full gory pictures of the expansion cards, "While Microdigital are not happy with the delay caused by the non-delivery of their graphics chips, the change in design has meant that they have been able to include hardware support for rendering JPEG plus other goodies not yet revealed".
Previous: Cerilica Vantage will be at Wakefield 2001: Will this weekend be this year's key RISC OS event?
Next: RiscStation laptop progress check
DiscussionViewing threaded comments | View comments unthreaded, listed by date | Skip to the end
No comments posted - yet. Post one yourself or come back soon.
Please login before posting a comment. Use the form on the right to do so or create a free account.
Search the archives
Today's featured article
Article graphics insight
Easy when you know how
10 comments, latest by thesnark on 21/8/04 10:59PM. Published: 18 Aug 2004
Castle USB, ethernet derived from BSD
Powered by open source
17 comments, latest by druck on 17/8/04 11:03PM. Published: 3 Jul 2004
News and media:
RISCOS Ltd •
RISC OS Open •
MW Software •
Advantage Six •
CJE Micros •
Liquid Silicon •
Chris Why's Acorn/RISC OS collection •
The Register •
The Inquirer •
Apple Insider •
BBC News •
Sky News •
Google News •