Update to audio control software !MixerBy Chris Williams. Published: 21st May 09:27:09 | Permalink | Printable
RISC OS software writer, Lenny, has updated his audio control software, Mixer, to version 0.18 which is now available on his website. According to Lenny's usenet posting, "Mixer is a utility providing a centralised control of the volume levels of the internal sound system, CD drives and SharedSound handlers (eg PCSound, Synth, Player, etc)."
"When Mixer starts up it looks for CD drives, and if a drive's softdriver supports the CD_GetAudioParms and CD_SetAudioParms SWIs then a volume slider will be created for that drive", Lenny explained to drobe.co.uk. "..Note that although CD drives and SharedSound handlers are stereo audio streams, only a single volume slider is provided for each, affecting left and right channels equally."
Recent features, according to Lenny, include:
- Settings can be saved. The new-boot Choices scheme is used, if available (either new-boot or !Choices pseudo app). Optionally, this can include saving a small utility into PreDesk (on new-boot machines) which will preset the CD drives to your preferred settings, without needing to run Mixer itself. Saving SharedSound settings is handled sensibly in that the action is cumulative. Ie settings for handlers not currently installed will be retained.
- Global mute button.
- The underlying playback sample rate can be changed. So if your beep has been 'munchkined', it's now easy to restore.
- Now has 3 modes of operation : Master, Slave and Deaf. Slave mode being new to the latest version.
- Externally made changes are clamped to the settings shown in Mixer's window.
- Mixer tracks any externally made changes.
- Mixer is totally oblivious to externally made changes, and can thus get out of sync with the actual settings. Its only advantage (and the reason it's present) is that unlike the other two modes, it doesn't use null wimp events.
Mixer 0.18: www.argonet.co.uk/users/lenny/soft/
Previous: Serial networking made easy for RISC OS with Matthew Lee
Next: ROX Filer Updated: Writing your own linux software and more
DiscussionViewing threaded comments | View comments unthreaded, listed by date | Skip to the end
No comments posted - yet. Post one yourself or come back soon.
Please login before posting a comment. Use the form on the right to do so or create a free account.
Search the archives
Today's featured article
Brush up your ARM coding skills with Matthew Bloch's assembler guide
Discuss this. Published: 27 Feb 2001
Daily Telegraph offers Beeb Acorn help
Useful links from a broadsheet
Discuss this. Published: 11 Oct 2007
News and media:
RISCOS Ltd •
RISC OS Open •
MW Software •
Advantage Six •
CJE Micros •
Liquid Silicon •
Chris Why's Acorn/RISC OS collection •
The Register •
The Inquirer •
Apple Insider •
BBC News •
Sky News •
Google News •