The Editor's Decision is Final - Part OneBy Chris Williams. Published: 1st August 17:07:25 | Permalink | Printable
We kick off a new series of lighthearted news coverage with some articles which didn't quite make it to your screensRelaxing after exams? Pah. Taking it easy? Nope. Blissfuly ignoring the busy world of RISC OS like a tidal wave blissfully ignores man's best sea defences? Guess again. If you've released any software or, maybe just maybe, hardware over the months of late June and July, then you would have been contacted by us. From little desktop enhancers to hardware upgrades to hints of something big aroud the corner, we're hopefully about to report on it all. If we've missed you out, let us know.
But we've read about it elsewhere, you might say, it's all old news and old news is told news. Well, it's time you became accustomed to the ways of drobe.co.uk and the fact that everything we publish is as accurate and as interesting as we can possibly make it. Unlike a certain other RISC OS publication, we can't be bought and when we mean 'exclusive' we really do mean 'exclusive' and not 'no one else can see fit to print it'. OK, backstabbing aside now - that's saved for another day.
Before you read our review article for our rundown of new software, here are some articles that didn't make the frontpage:
- Masquerade as thy enemy
- Your guide to make RISC OS look like you're beta testing Windows XP Professional 2002 Pro+ Alpha Tournament edition with Bonus games and other assorted multimedia nonsense, ideal for impressing PC friends. See how your PC using friends will laugh when they realise it's not really a future version of Windows. See how you will laugh when one of your friends tries to be clever and comments afterwards, "RISC OS eh? Yes, I've got that Redhat distro too. Works really well as a backend-enabled pro-active packet gateway router, don't you think?" No mate, you don't. Think that is.
- Origins of rumours
- We may have stumbled across the one true source of rumours within the RISC OS world - but don't quote us on it, it's only the word on the street. iconbar.com says we're keeping it for ourselves. Possibly?
- The Cybervillage's website design tips
- Tips on using frames, pretty icons and nuclear goo-green backgrounds to attract 5000 visitors a day - all from a leaked memo to relaunched portal riscos.net.
- drobe.co.uk launch Unrobed
- Forget the decent and honest news sites and magazines, you don't need them. Nope. Unrobed's got all the hot and dirty RISC OS news we made up down the pub. At lunchtime. Yesterday. Sponsored by Omicron Technologies. (Peter- this might be A Good Idea after all)
- 10 ways to really infuriate a RISC OS portal
- Here's one: hit 'em where it hurts, tell 'em your mother could do a lot better. Oh and claim MySQL is rubbish.
- 10 ways to really infuriate a RISC OS company
- Need we say more? Wait, no we can't. Oh by the way, wanted: someone crazy enough to represent us. No win, no fee would be ideal, sorry, vital.
If you've got any ideas for drobe.co.uk or Unrobed, any please, let us know.
Previous: RISC OS Gone in 60 Seconds
Next: A-level results
DiscussionViewing threaded comments | View comments unthreaded, listed by date | Skip to the end
Please login before posting a comment. Use the form on the right to do so or create a free account.
Search the archives
Today's featured article
Jan Vibe: The interview
The man, the myth, the BASIC graphics master
9 comments, latest by harmsy on 17/8/07 3:50PM. Published: 11 Aug 2007
Works of art within Artworks
Go on, make it look pretty. You know you want a pretty desktop.
Discuss this. Published: 1 Aug 2002
News and media:
RISCOS Ltd •
RISC OS Open •
MW Software •
Advantage Six •
CJE Micros •
Liquid Silicon •
Chris Why's Acorn/RISC OS collection •
The Register •
The Inquirer •
Apple Insider •
BBC News •
Sky News •
Google News •