When you need a little desktop directionPublished: 24th Jan 2002, 19:04:59 | Permalink | Printable
Must have utility Director raised from its beta state and served on sourceforge.net's golden platerOpen source desktop utility and life changer Director is like your RISC OS computer's trusty penknife. Originally developed by Nick Craig Wood, it's stuffed full of menus and utils that enhance your desktop and provide features such as listing recently used files, monitoring open files, open sockets and dynamic areas, allowing you to have greater control over files in filer windows and much more. We honestly don't know how people without Director can cope.
Version 0.27 (22 Jan 2002) has been released after spending ages in beta and according to the changelog we're looking at, this release sees the following changes:
- MemoriserClear and Sticky Notes utilities added.
- FindDrives has been extended.
- There has been bug fixes and enhancements to the CDFS support.
- Memoriser saves and loads its memory when Director is quit and restarted.
- Director shouldn't remove any icons when it's loaded.
- Switch has been extended and some bugs in Switch have been removed.
- Fixed a bug in the path menu maker which was making incorrect validation strings for -nosprite -path items.
- Under RISC OS 4, menus which altered the default background weren't displayed with the 3D affect. This has now been corrected.
- Entries relating to System Font have been changed to Desktop Font where relevant. Changing the System Font does a complete screen redraw.
- Other miscellaneous bugs have been fixed and features added.
"There are two archives available for download", explains Director developer Phil Ludlam in his announcement. "One contains the main Director programs and associated utilities and menus. The other also contains the source code and CVS information."
Director's sourceforge.net page
Chris, unofficial Director assistant consulting fanzine editor
Previous: Insignia released
Next: BETT you've been wanting to hear this
DiscussionViewing threaded comments | View comments unthreaded, listed by date | Skip to the end
No comments posted - yet. Post one yourself or come back soon.
Please login before posting a comment. Use the form on the right to do so or create a free account.
Search the archives
Today's featured article
Archive magazine reviewed
A media watch special
10 comments, latest by diomus on 27/10/07 12:01PM. Published: 23 Oct 2007
State of play FAQ soon from Acorn User
Magazine wants your views, comments, queries
7 comments, latest by dgs on 25/7/03 2:09PM. Published: 24 Jul 2003
News and media:
RISCOS Ltd •
RISC OS Open •
MW Software •
Advantage Six •
CJE Micros •
Liquid Silicon •
Chris Why's Acorn/RISC OS collection •
The Register •
The Inquirer •
Apple Insider •
BBC News •
Sky News •
Google News •