News updateBy Chris Williams. Published: 25th Jun 2002, 11:54:38 | Permalink | Printable
What's been going downWelcome to another drobe.co.uk newsburst, your quick links guide to what's been going on recently in the world of RISC OS.
- Porting from chocky.org towers | www.chocky.org
- Peter Naulls has released details of his proposed porting scheme which aims to migrate several open source applications from the unix platform to RISC OS. Interesting programs worth noting include the ssh utilities, Amaya and FreeCiv. While Peter says that he'll release the ports for free, users can pay a fixed fee for support and also for the effort required to shift these applications over to RISC OS.
- Happy birthday to you | www.riscos.com
- RISCOS Ltd., developers of the desktop incarnation of everyone's favourite OS, is celebrating RISC OS 4's 3rd anniversary this July seeing as it's been 3 years since the first release of RISC OS 4.00. Until the 31st July, you'll be able to purchase RISC OS in three special offers. The offers are geared towards people who haven't yet upgraded to RISC OS 4. See the above link for exact pricings. Happy birthday RISC OS.
- onepointnought adrift | www.onepointnought.com
- OnePointNought, hosters of a significant number of RISC OS related websites including 'rival' news site iconbar.com, have recently been suffering server problems, resulting in users being unable to surf their favourite RISC OS sites. They appear to be using their new Neo3 server now, so hopefully all will be well again.
- OvationPro advice | www.bulldog.u-net.com/ovationpro/
- The 'official alternative' site for OvationPro users has moved. Chris Johnson's site houses a large range of third party Applets, Resources, Templates, etc for use with David Pilling's DTP package Ovation Pro.
- Publisher welcomes Cartmell | Contact: John Cartmell
- John Cartmell, once Acornuser news editor and now of Fleur Designs, has taken over as editor to Acorn Publisher magazine following Mike Williams' exit as long term editor of the highly regarded magazine. "After eight years during which I believe Acorn Publisher has achieved a deserved reputation as the best looking and most readable RISC OS magazine, I have decided that I want to devote more time to other interests", explains Mike. "A new owner and editor is good news for the magazine, and I know that John shares my aims of producing a professional quality magazine for the RISC OS market."
Acorn Publisher is published six times a year addressing the needs of the RISC OS community with particular reference to word processing and desktop publishing, graphics and image processing, and the use of the internet and web page design. Despite John's failed attempt late last year to gain ownership of Acornuser magazine, he's now finally got a magazine to run.
Send your news to Chris.
Previous: Audiogalaxy woes
Next: Artworks Viewfinder speed relief
DiscussionViewing threaded comments | View comments unthreaded, listed by date | Skip to the end
No comments posted - yet. Post one yourself or come back soon.
Please login before posting a comment. Use the form on the right to do so or create a free account.
Search the archives
Today's featured article
Drobe price comparison chart
Checking out the competition
21 comments, latest by govind on 14/11/03 2:15PM. Published: 9 Nov 2003
Acorn user news, CJE online, hot ROM images and more
11 comments, latest by rob on 24/4/03 8:30PM. Published: 23 Apr 2003
News and media:
RISCOS Ltd •
RISC OS Open •
MW Software •
Advantage Six •
CJE Micros •
Liquid Silicon •
Chris Why's Acorn/RISC OS collection •
The Register •
The Inquirer •
Apple Insider •
BBC News •
Sky News •
Google News •