What's in store for RISC OSBy Chris Williams. Published: 12th Sep 2002, 23:38:27 | Permalink | Printable
RISCOS Ltd. hint at Select 2 contentsRISCOS Ltd., developers of the desktop incarnation of drobe.co.uk's favourite operating system, have recently sent an 'Update' letter to current Select subscribers inviting them to resubscribe in order to continue receiving the latest versions of RISC OS as well as supporting RISCOS Ltd. in the continual development of RISC OS.
So far, the Select scheme has brought RISC OS many features ranging from easy entry of spaces into filenames, correct numerical sorting of files, creation of JPEG files from Paint, creation of SVG files from Draw, new Screen savers and hardware profiles to DHCP support, multi-user logon, a preview of the new !Printers with some new PDF's, a preview of the new OmniClient with Appletalk support, built in firewalling, a streamlined Boot sequence and much, much more. Software bundled with Select includes the ANT Internet suite, which includes the Fresco web browser.
RISCOS Ltd. refrained from confirming future Select features, explaining "The nature of the Select scheme is such that we reserve the right to change the development schedule of Select to meet the needs to our RISC OS Licensees." However, to wet your appetite, the following items are described as being "in an advance stage of development":
- Scroll wheel mouse support.
- Improved Image File Rendering via a new plugin.
- Pinboard support for Drawfiles.
- New InetConfigure module.
- Transparency introduced to Sprites, JPEGs, Blendtable and DragASprite.
- New TextGadget scrolling lists.
- New Wimp with improved dithering, fading, tool ordering, italic text sizing, CMYK sprites and much more.
- DDEUtils has been improved to handle long lines.
- New FontMenu.
- Basic Printing support for the all the latest HP Printers.
- Improved CDPlayer.
- Better handling of PNG files in Paint.
- A comprehensive multi-tasking Acorn Replay release with improved movies to take advantage of the enhanced capabilities of the new machines being produced.
- Substantial number of developments 'under the hood' of RISC OS, providing (as an example) hooks to third party developers.
"The full list of the developments we have planned is extensive and we will release further details as, and when, they reach a sufficiently advanced stage", RISCOS Ltd. go on to explain. The next Select CD release is expected October 2002.
RISC OS Select website
Previous: Then there were two
Next: September summary
DiscussionViewing threaded comments | View comments unthreaded, listed by date | Skip to the end
Please login before posting a comment. Use the form on the right to do so or create a free account.
Search the archives
Today's featured article
It's the Music, Man
It comes from not-so-far away
14 comments, latest by cynic on 3/2/05 7:59PM. Published: 18 Aug 2004
News in brief
Games, new software, new URLs
17 comments, latest by em2ac on 29/6/04 1:30PM. Published: 26 Jun 2004
News and media:
RISCOS Ltd •
RISC OS Open •
MW Software •
Advantage Six •
CJE Micros •
Liquid Silicon •
Chris Why's Acorn/RISC OS collection •
The Register •
The Inquirer •
Apple Insider •
BBC News •
Sky News •
Google News •