Iyonix on sale now: First batch at Midlands showBy Chris Williams. Published: 28th Nov 2002, 22:11:08 | Permalink | Printable
And the price is... revealedThe wait is over. The press release is out. The Iyonix is here and with a price. A price indeed! And all a day after the Omega is reportedly in production, fancy that? The official eye watering specifications are as follows:
- Totally new motherboard design
- 80321 XScale 32-bit ARM processor. This processor runs at 600MHz and is a system-on-a-chip, containing all the necessary interface electronics for things like PCI under the hood.
- RISC OS 5 in FlashROM (Rewritten for 32 bit, equivalent to RISC OS 4.02 with added fun including updated font manager with unicode support and new icon set too)
- 128MB 64-bit DDR RAM for high speed access at 200MHz
- UDMA 80GB Hard Drive
- Support for industry standard interfaces:
- 2 64-bit PCI slots, 2 32-bit PCI slots
- 4 USB 1.1 sockets
- 2 RS232 serial ports
- 10/10/1000baseT networking port
- Dedicated high performance graphics card, nVidia GeForce2 MX400 (up to 2048x1536 in 16 million colours)
- CD quality 16-bit Soundblaster support
- CD-ReWriter (48x speed)
- 240 Watt PSU with two near-silent fans
- Wide range of bundled 32-bit software: Writer+ (word processor with enhanced Word import and export), Fireworkz (spreadsheet with Excel import and export), Oregano 2 (web browser), Messenger Lite (email client), PDF (for reading PDF files), Zool (game), CDBurn (CD writer). Also, USB printing support.
All for £1299 inc. VAT. Yes, there's your price, valid until the 31st December 2002 as a special launch price. The first 50 machines will be on sale at the Midlands RISC OS Show this Saturday. You'll probably want to be there. Castle are taking orders for the machine (finally), see the Iyonix website for ordering details.
We realised launch was imminent when Iyonix flyers started appearing through drobe.co.uk readers' letter boxes.
It's touching how the 500th drobe.co.uk article is the announcement of a 600Mhz 32bit RISC OS machine. The Iyonix has promised everything the user has been crying for: XScale processor, USB, PCI, nVidia calibre graphics system and faster networking. The next few days are going to be very busy.
Iyonix website (updated)
Full Iyonix launch press release from Castle
Iyonix compatibility database
Resources for developers concerning the Iyonix
Previous: Show time for Unix Ports
Next: Midlands show report
DiscussionViewing threaded comments | View comments unthreaded, listed by date | Skip to the end
Please login before posting a comment. Use the form on the right to do so or create a free account.
Search the archives
Today's featured article
South East 2007 show report
News, views, gossip and photos
35 comments, latest by Pete on 06/10/08 10:51AM. Published: 20 Oct 2007
Data-Store corrects RISC OS 4 Sibelius problem: No more flickering edit screens
Discuss this. Published: 8 Jan 2001
News and media:
RISCOS Ltd •
RISC OS Open •
MW Software •
Advantage Six •
CJE Micros •
Liquid Silicon •
Chris Why's Acorn/RISC OS collection •
The Register •
The Inquirer •
Apple Insider •
BBC News •
Sky News •
Google News •