Stork prototype galleryBy Chris Williams. Published: 16th Jun 2003, 22:07:46 | Permalink | Printable
Exhibits 1 through 9. No tears pleaseAs a follow up to the recent Stork auction news, seller wooyay has provided a number of new photos for you to oogle.
It really does look like a nice, smart machine, although a translucent case and glowing GCSE Technology grade acrylic panels would go down a treat. It worked for Apple. We could take the time to explore the many what-ifs (cough, RiscStation) but we might end up encouraging all sorts of DIY laptop projects.
So instead, we'll leave you with this piece of history, literally.
- Front facing
- The Stork prototype, and note the cool green key labels. So Acorn.
- Rear ports
- The ports (from left to right) are: port replicator (a replicator is a unit that provides keyboard, mouse, VGA output etc.); parallel port (where the floppy drive connects), and 9-pin serial port. Also, the rounded thing on the left side is actually one of the mouse buttons.
- Left side
- PCMCIA slot, two mouse buttons and power button.
- Right side
- Headphone socket and reset button.
- Below the serial number sticker is the internal access panel (see last photo).
- Top side
- It looks very compact.
- External floppy drive
- Who needs floppies when one can have ethernet? Oh ok, floppy it is then.
- The laptop battery slides out into view.
- Internal access
- With the access plate removed, you can get at the two 4MB RAM modules.
The Acorn Stork prototype portable runs RISC OS 3.6 and is driven by an ARM7500 processor. It never made it into production.
Stork portable details
Jason Tribbeck's Stork photos
Stork prototype on ebay
Previous: Software news
Next: ARM two Thumbs up
DiscussionViewing threaded comments | View comments unthreaded, listed by date | Skip to the end
Please login before posting a comment. Use the form on the right to do so or create a free account.
Search the archives
Today's featured article
Creating a simple website in a few hours
7 comments, latest by takkaria on 16/9/06 6:57PM. Published: 2 Sep 2006
Iyonix Select pledge campaign reaches target
13 comments, latest by Xinoyi on 12/12/05 4:38PM. Published: 3 Dec 2005
News and media:
RISCOS Ltd •
RISC OS Open •
MW Software •
Advantage Six •
CJE Micros •
Liquid Silicon •
Chris Why's Acorn/RISC OS collection •
The Register •
The Inquirer •
Apple Insider •
BBC News •
Sky News •
Google News •