1. First of all Peter made it pretty clear on the IYONIX mailinglist that he wanted to remove himself from RISC OS development for some time. For that reason I didn't want to disturb him.
2. I thus did search on riscos.info for smbserver but at that time all I found was some SVN pages, that is nothing about any work of him on smbserver. This dit not leave the impression that he was maintaining it. (BTW, now you find things searching for smbserver since by now his pages have been updated.)
3. The reason for me to offer this smbserver was simply that it works better than the others on my IYONIX pc (and others) and due to LanManFS not connecting to Windows XP anymore smbserver got more interesting as file sharing tool.
4. Since I did remember that Peter stated plans to do work on smbserver quite some time ago I did mention that when I offered one version of smbserver and I did clearly state that I'd take it offline when a new one arrives.
5. Thus the most simple resolution could have been that Peter drops me a line stating that he's still there and that he's still maintaining smbserver and suggesting that we get together on this. But he decided to take another approach (not a co-operating one). What a pity.