I was one of the early purchasers (perhaps the only one?) of a Microdigital Alpha. This, of course, was machine targetted at those who wish to have a portable RO machine and, as such, came with a licensed (I presume) copy of VRPC. One of the first things I did to that machine was to add a wireless network card (the wired ethernet port is, of course, built in to the mother board). As others have reported, this caused VRPC to stop working. I contacted Microdigital who said that they had no ability to produce an unlock code for the new machine identity string which VRPC now generated. I contacted Virtual Acorn, who simply washed their hands and referred me back to MD.
After much messing about, I discovered that what was causing VRPC to balk was a simple Win XP software configuration change. As soon as you add multiple network interfaces (ethernet, firewire, bluetooth etc.) XP decides that it will create a s/w bridge between the various ports. Simply de-configuring the software bridge in XP allowed VRPC to run with the internal ethernet port, a PCMCIA wireless card and a bluetooth dongle present.
However, with the demise of MD, I would appear to have a
legitimate, licensed, copy of VRPC with absolutely no support (I guess that it was probably little different while MD were still 'trading'!)