Drobe :: The archives
About Drobe | Contact | RSS | Twitter | Webspace | Tech docs | Downloads | BBC Micro

Profile for mavhc

ContactAbout me
Email:
Private
ICQ:
AOL:
Yahoo:
Username: mavhc
Realname: Mark Scholes
About me:Yay, I can't post, because I'm so evil, supporting RISC OS users etc
Homepage: http://mavhc.drobe.co.uk
Face/Logo:
Comments posted:405 (show all)

All comments

On News in brief:

Chris Williams's attitude to all this is stated in my previous post.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 26/1/06 8:32PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On News in brief:

Chris Williams said: hahah, Chris Hughes can suck my fat cock, he needs to respect my authority

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 26/1/06 2:17PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Select 4 will not be ready until new year:

I vote for windows you can click on and they don't jump to the front of the window stack, menus that you can select items from and keep them open, and having enough buttons on the mouse that you don't have to keep 1 hand on the keyboard all the time.

Oh yeah, and PMT, Threads, better memory protection and a decent debugging system

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 7/12/05 10:00PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Letters:

(512 000 000 / 1 024) / 1 024 = 488.28125

Also can't you format the drive to be not DOS?

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 30/10/05 12:48AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Archive mag to survey RISC OS computer use:

Iyonix and 3 RPCs, oh and an a7000+ attached to the tv, various other machines around if needed

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 25/08/05 10:20PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On VirtualAcorn boasts 3000 users:

...Microsoft

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 25/08/05 10:19PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On VirtualAcorn boasts 3000 users:

> You've probably misunderstood something along the way Nah, it's just my Xtreme Sarcasm, to the max! <fx>air guitar</fx>

VRPC must be profitiable for ROL though, say 60ukps/copy, pure profit, no need to spend money on ROMs. So 3000*60=180000gbps

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 25/08/05 00:59AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On VirtualAcorn boasts 3000 users:

1.25GHz Xscales announced.

They use less power: Per MIPS

25 Year old designs: I was referring more to the whole PC. By move to x86 do people want RISC OS to run on a standard PC motherboard?

If I need to blow up somewhere I'd have to spend years learning to fly a jet, for most uses a glider is better, especially if you're also interesting in how it works

BIOS: They don't have a seperate system for bootup, which can't be controlled from the OS.

> As has been pointed out many times, video cards and hard discs are the main culprits in modern computers - not the processor.

Those people are wrong.

> Plus you can use a Pentium Mobile processor that's not so far above the XScale in power consumption that people actually care.

Fanless P-Ms? excellent. URL?

> "They're easier to program in machine code." - Does this really make the slightest difference any more? > Does anyone outside RISC OS program in machine code for desktop machines (other than OS of course)?

Does to people interesting in how computers work, and people optimising code, eg for 3d graphics engines, simulations etc.

> "They're not evolved from 25 year old designs and therefore not (as) full of hacks." - But still the 25 year old design (which is actually closer to 30 years) is faster, cheaper and more readily available so what is the actual benefit here?

Simplicity, elegance. Fixability.

> "They're simpler and therefore more understandable." - Who actually cares? If the system works and is cheaper I can't see people giving a hoot.

Depends which people.

Some people drive cars from A to B, some people like to get under the bonet.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 24/08/05 02:01AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On VirtualAcorn boasts 3000 users:

Advantages of ARM based systems: RISC OS runs on them. They use less power. They're quieter and more reliable due to no CPU fans. They're easier to program in machine code. They're not evolved from 25 year old designs and therefore not (as) full of hacks. They're simpler and therefore more understandable. They don't have a BIOS

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 22/08/05 6:09PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On GCCSDK team trumpets module support:

I'll comment now then shall I? Apparrently because 14% of my comments were considered "bad" I can't post. My evil ways have destroyed the drobe website.

Anyway, it's obvious Chris is trying to be more like a "real" "reporter"

In other news drobe.co.uk rss bloglines subscriptions down 20%

Anyway, what does Acorn/Castle C provide now that GCC doesn't? Toolbox stuff?

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 15/07/05 11:45PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Firefox first beta published:

> A whole suite of this would be a very powerful boost for RISC OS. Buy your machine, get all the S/W you need thrown in... Buy an Iyonix and get for free: - browser: Firefox Oregano 2 - email & contacts manager: Thunderbird or Evolution Messenger Pro Lite - chat: GAIM Download LIRC - web editor: Nvu StrongEd :-) - calendar: Sunbird Download Organizer - WP: AbiWord Writer - spreadsheet: Gnumeric (which can handle Excel files) Fireworkz - MP3/media player: XMMS or Mplayer or Totem or Amarok or Juk or many others. Yes, including DVD support Audio, all free. Video, still waiting for cineroma. DVD, 20ukps for a standalone :-), or wait for Cino

Could the firefox extension problem be it's a later version, extensions have version number compatiblity checks

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 22/06/05 2:48PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On News in brief:

Does ROL expect Iyonix owners to give them money when they've not even explained the situation?

How does Iyonix Select cope with the castle usb system, graphics, sound?

If Castle want there to be Select on Iyonix then it will happen and it will be a good thing, without their cooperation it'll just fragment the market even more

For an OS variant to be targetted by developers it's got to be standard on most of the machines sold.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 13/6/05 4:15PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On R-Comp sneaks out VRPC graphics speed boost:

Do you a) assume that things will never exist on RISC OS, and therefore people should run another OS as well or b) tell them to wait until they do?

The more people using emulation the less reason there is to write software to fill the gaps, especially if it's free on the system you're using to emulate.

Without an OS running natively on hardware you're dead.

Has anyone measured the amount of power an Iyonix uses?

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 15/05/05 00:49AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Web browser offerings compared:

There's probably already an extension to give you the open of new tab/new window choice, if not it'll be easy to write one. I just use Menu>Open link in New Window or New Tab.

Of course that's current middle click, which is Adjust on unix, right click is Menu. Wonder why Acorn swapped them. Of course it's easy in X11 to remap the mouse buttons to other buttons.

Where's the ability to convert a tab into a window, or a window into a tab in firefox anyway? seems important to me. But all that stuff should be in the GUI, it's just needed in Windows as it sucks, opening 100s of windows in Windows degrades performance and it eventually can't open any more, due to a design flaw that existed in Windows 3 and still hasn't been fixed.

> not covering the whole screen when maximised Why would it? Netsurf doesn't, Fresco doesn't, no correctly written RISC OS apps do. Maybe adjust-maximise should for browsers though.

Netsurf appears to cover the iconbar when I configued it not to be covered though, tut.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 19/03/05 7:26PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On 32bit Adjust on ARM9 breakthrough:

More to do with STD announcing something about Embedded 32 bit RISC OS and noone actually telling us what that really is. Then there's news that it wasn't to do with Castle, so did ROL 32bit seperately from Castle, weren't they working together, etc etc.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 17/10/04 11:18PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On 32bit Adjust on ARM9 breakthrough:

It's very odd, and very annoying, isn't one reason we use RISC OS because we're close to the developers? ROL never say anything any more.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 15/10/04 7:55PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On 32bit Adjust on ARM9 breakthrough:

A HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) makes the work needed to run something on different hardware easier, eg loading a file from a floppy disk, scsi disk or ide disk is the same for a programmer because of hardware abstraction.

Nothing to do with what ARM chip is used really, or 26/32bit. The point is to seperate the hardware specific things from the rest of the OS, for ROS5/Iyonix that meant, for example, video hardware, Nvidia instead of VIDC, so first you move all the VIDC specific things into a seperate module, and write a hardware netural interface between the rest of the OS and the graphics module, then you write an Nvidia module and plug that in instead of the VIDC one. More work for 1 change, but when you come to use a different graphics system, much easier. Repeat for all hardware.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 15/10/04 3:46PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Iyonix price slash offer, yawns stifled:

But then the true cost of development of the hardware and software would appear, as the 700ukps motherboard cost shows.

Dear Castle, please can I buy a cheap Iyonix, crap/no parts, I'll pirate the OS, and you'll have no money to recoup your costs and produce any new machines

Thanks, Mr Selfish

Unix porting apears to be going along quite well, I don't see why someone with unix already would care though.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 08/09/04 00:29AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Iyonix price slash offer, yawns stifled:

But we're using the price inc VAT, so the cost prices therefore must include VAT.

1GB DDR PC1600 that works in an Iyonix, what's the price?

If you wanted to build your own equiv spec machine to an Iyonix that would be the prices you pay, or Castle pay after adding the same profit margin. They're obviously not using the cheapest crap they can find, the machine is almost silent due to specific harddrives, case, fans and PSU.

Also those are the prices you can buy at *today*, if Castle doesn't spend a month after you've ordered buying in all the parts they'll be paying more to buy them last month.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 06/09/04 10:06PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Iyonix price slash offer, yawns stifled:

1500ukps for a decent PC in 1996.

So what you're saying an PCs are cheaper and have more CPU power? STOP THE PRESSES!

Agreed, RISC OS has to have most things everyone else does, but that can't happen overnight. The steps are there, 32bit RISC OS, HAL, more and more standard parts, Merlin project, Unix porting project.

Simtec can sell a StrongARM mothboard for 200ukps. Riscstation ones cost about 250. Iyonix costs 600, and has an XScale and support, and a load of other features, gigabit networking, sound, 64bit PCI slots, UDMA100, DDR ram. Of course there are 103 StrongARM boards competing in the market.

Iyonix Pnather TC costs 1400ukps inc VAT. 2 120GB HDs (65*2), 1GB DDR ram stick (hard to find, say 150-200), CDRW (20), usb kb (10 from castle), mouse (20), floppy (10), 7in1 card reader (10), case (120 from castle), RISC OS 5, a converted GF2MX PCI card (90), USB card (30 from castle), PSU (50 from castle). A word processor, spreadsheet, browser, email client, CD burning software

So 640+700 for the motherboard is 1340, which leaves 60 for the software and RISC OS 5.

I'd guess the software was the 60 and RISC OS cost came from the motherboard, say 200ukps for RISC OS 5, which makes the motherboard 400 (ex VAT), take off, say, 100 for all the features Iyonix motherboard has that Simtec's doesn't (hardware, design and support), which leaves a 300ukps XScale motherboard compared to a 200ukps SA motherboard.

An A7000+ motherboard costs 350ukps+VAT

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 06/09/04 1:29PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Iyonix price slash offer, yawns stifled:

> You can have a faster CPU by replacing the board with the CPU on, just like in a RiscPC So you're saying you have to buy a new motherboard? Of course ATX only arrived in 96, so you'd be buying new MB, CPU, case, PSU, probably RAM. So in 2 years you've bought 2 computers.

> my Amstrad 286 had room for 4 internal HDDs! And most didn't. And of course we go back to a RPC case being expanable, so the base system is smaller than 90% of PCs.

A 20ukp motherboard in 2000? Seems unlikely. So not only do you want people to replace their motherboards to upgrade their CPUs, you want them to buy the expensive motherboards just in case they don't have to?

This is a not just a limit on the size of drive you can put in, but a limit of how far into the disc the bootable area can be.

> > You can't advance as fast if you start so far ahead. > Err, this clearly isn't actually true, no matter who you consider ahead. Because the guy who invented the wheel's now so far ahead of the rest? Intel are so far ahead of AMD, Ford are ahead of some new car company?

> And all OSes make sure that their bootstrap code is early anyway, so this limit has no ill effects at all Unless you start partitioning them to put multiple OSes on.

>16bit sound upgrade history in 1992 a 16bit stereo soundblaster card was $150, then you had 3 years of configuring every game you had to use INT73, memory 34831, and reverse stereo. By 1994 I see them for sale for $149.

The original RPC upgrade was 70ukps, 2 years later 49. And 1 year after the RPC was released it was included as standard in the RPC700, as it should have been.

> Or you could just wire it up properly. Go on then, how?

> > 1500 for a new PC or 300 for a StrongARM? tough choice. > Although you'd only need to spend 400 to buy a new PC with the performance of the StrongARM, and get an upgrade for everything else at the same time In 1996?

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 05/09/04 3:12PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On STD defends A5 concept:

Funniest thing I've read today.

What do you find easier to use about Windows?

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 09/08/04 9:03PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On STD defends A5 concept:

But RISC OS only runs on ARM.

mrtd: What things can you do on Iyonix that you can't on RPC?

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 04/08/04 10:57AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On United at long last:

That's because your car can run on any brand of petrol, your radio can pick up any channel, your CD player can play any CD.

If each book publisher wrote in their own made up language, who would learn more than one?

MSOffice is a development system to some programmers.

/full/ implementation of modern standards and formats such as PDF: you're basically going to choose Adobe's program, or the open source version ports. Does running !PDF on ROS 5 give you path clipping?

Flash: well the spec is open, but as Macromedia do a free linux version noone's bothered to make an open source version of the latest specs

CSS: Noone does full CSS, NetSurf does quite well.

Excel: Not a standard. Someone should use the OpenOffice loader or something

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 18/07/04 9:53PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On RISC OS greets Windows clipboard:

Once you replace the bootloader with a version that doesn't allow F8 to get into safe mode, use [link] to find out why all your old programs are breaking now you've locked down the file system, spent weeks messing with group policies and hope that noone notices they don't apply if you pull the network plug out just after starting to log in, write scripts to restart monitoring programs when they die, install SUS and make it actually work, write logon scripts, user creation scripts, etc etc, then get active director MSI installers to work (hah), you're half way to a decent Windows 2000 network. Then you just have to reimage all the machines that one day fail to start up and cope with cheap machines = hardware that breaks.

RISC OS: FSLock, done. Well, almost.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 13/07/04 5:23PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On MicroDigital tout big RAM for Omega:

The question isn't whether emulators work well or not, it's whether their presence will kill RISC OS in the long term.

Apple survives because of the profit they make on their hardware, RISC OS needs the same. Also Apple couldn't get fast enough CPUs, so they sell dual processor machines, we need RISC OS to be updated to support that otherwise we can't compete.

Obviously some people need the extra features in apps not provided by RISC OS software, but the majority don't, and benefit from the superior GUI etc of RISC OS. We need to compete on speed and ease of getting the job done, not raw power and features, because we can't there.

If you save 1hr per day because you work on RISC OS at 5ukps/hour your Iyonix has paid for itself in half a year.

Now to use VRPC you also need to know about Windows, windowsupdate, firewalls, antivirus, defragmenting, services, and how to fix it when it goes wrong. And when something's not working you need to know whether it's the hardware, windows, VRPC, RISC OS or the app that's the problem. The potential problems at least doubled, so the time to fix them quadrupled.

VRPC has the same obvious price advantage over Iyonix as Windows does, and many of the same longer term disadvantages. And you're not contributing to the long term future of RISC OS on ARM machines.

If you think that VRPC won't contribute to the decline of RISC OS on ARM, or want to be using one of the many thriving OSes that only exist in emulation, then go ahead. If you don't really use RISC OS much anymore, and just like VRPC because it's cheap for messing about with why are you even here?

This message has been paid for by the PAPRO (People For ARM Powered RISC OS)

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 11/07/04 2:38PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On STD Temporary Closure:

Why do we care if STD sell some 7500FE machines? Castle selling XScales seems more a) important, b) likely.

After STD sell 50,000 7500FE machines will ROL then have enough money to repeat what Castle have done/bought and 32bit ROS4?

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 07/07/04 1:44PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On RISC OS 5 modernisation to cost millions:

Easy to spot WinXP, it's the one that looks like 2k, but with worse icons, grey blob instead of a recognisable speaker icon etc. Windows 2003 has almost all that crap turned off by default, which is nice.

The public don't choose Windows because of the features, people only don't choose Windows. They choose a PC because it's cheaper than a Mac, or they choose a Mac because it's "better" than Windows.

Linux is easy to install in the same way Windows is easy to install, when there's no problems, when everything's autodetected. As soon as anything goes wrong every OS is back to basics, and it's whichever is easier to actually use that wins. If you actually want to be able to control your computer you'll need to learn how it works one day, and the simpler it is when you finally get round to it the more you'll like it.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 23/06/04 11:09PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On RISC OS 5 modernisation to cost millions:

We knew ROL was doomed as soon as the talk of problems getting the hardware companies to pay for OS improvements occured.[

Without ROL we wouldn't have had ROS4, without Castle we wouldn't have had StrongARM machines from 1998-2004.

Without Castle we wouldn't have a 32bit OS for the future, without ROL we wouldn't have Select to upgrade our RiscPCs.

That's not the point, this is about the future.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 23/06/04 00:40AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Expo show whisperings:

Of course URLs should never break [link]

Assume that most RISC OS users that will ever buy new stuff have RiscPCs or A7000s or equiv. They want to buy a new desktop machine. If they don't need Windows they'll get an Iyonix, assuming the can afford one.

If they need Windows they either already have Windows, or they'll buy a PC. If they're buying one they might buy one with VRPC on, or buy that too. Depends if they're going to be running the RiscPC too.

If they need a laptop of course there's no choice.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 22/06/04 8:52PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On RISC OS 5 modernisation to cost millions:

Which embedded/pda/phone devices have alpha blending and fading menus again?

The problem is, if we add those features we might get the idiots who want them using RISC OS, and then we'd have to support them.

Do you really want to make the text you're reading harder to read by making the background transparent?

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 22/06/04 6:07PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Castle spills beans on ROL dispute:

It would make sense if some customer said: I'd like to buy 50,000 units, but the future of your product seems uncertain with 2 companies in disagreement as to who owns what

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 22/06/04 6:00PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Castle terminates RISCOS Ltd. licence:

But pointless speculation and the chance to prove we were right by posting every possibility imaginable is what we live for!

Will Castle have to stop selling ROS4 A7000+s until ROL terminate their sublicence?

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 17/06/04 6:23PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Discussion and Negotiation:

> Without Castle there'd be no 32bit RISC OS" - without Pace

And Castle paid for Pace's work, doesn't matter, Castle are the ones who sold us a machine.

> "no future except emulation, so RISC OS would be dead". Err. Much maligned as they are, Microdigital, RiscStation and also Advantage 6 are or have all produced hardware. ROL is producing regular OS updates. I don't think that RO would be dead; that's overstating things a bit. Dead as in having no future, without the ability to run on xscale etc there's no future. Omega is pretty much a joke, Riscstation haven't done anything in years, Advantage 6 are selling similar stuff to RiscStation and emulators. The only people who've given us a path to the future in the past 5 years are Castle

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 17/06/04 6:08PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Discussion and Negotiation:

Without Castle there'd be no 32bit RISC OS, no Iyonix, no future except emulation, so RISC OS would be dead.

Imagine having the option of buying an Omega or an emulator or nothing, and there could be no advances for ARM machines as they're all 32bit only now, and we'd still be emulating the VIDC etc.

If to make Iyonix happen Castle had to fight with ROL that's a price worth paying.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 17/06/04 11:52AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Discussion and Negotiation:

"Over the past five years it has licensed RISC OS 4 to many AMSes including Castle Technology Ltd, RiscStation, Microdigital, A6 and Virtual Acorn without any concerns from Element14 or *Pace PLC* that it was breaching the agreement in any way."

"A considerable amount of discussion and negotiation has actually taken place between Castle, *Pace* and RISCOS Ltd over the past two years, concerning both Castle's ongoing disputed use of RISC OS in the Iyonix PC as well as the more recent demands made by Castle against RISCOS Ltd and the AMSes."

"Pace have nothing to do with this"

Castle thinks Pace have nothing to do with this, ROL appears to think they do

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 17/06/04 08:49AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On VA halts VirtualRiscPC deliveries:

1 bitter 2 rude 3 unprofessional 4 mess 5 They've taken to making "announcements" of their disputes via back alleys like the Drobe forums? 6 scathing 7 derisory 8 about Select 9 they have the power to crush it. 10 prrecious little development 11 anything 12 Iyonix was launched 2 years ago 13 destroy the RISC OS market place 14 bent view of the world 15 Crush everyone else 16 non-Iyonix-crappy-version-of-RISC-OS 17 Great idea. 18 They're completely insane 19 that crufty RISC OS 5 20 1500 quid 21 Nonsense. 22 childish 23 money-grabbing 24 result in destroying the whole scene 25 Thanks, Castle, 26 killing our OS.

26 insults and/or wrongs. A new record? This is very exciting, please continue.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 16/06/04 9:00PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Castle terminates RISCOS Ltd. licence:

My new theory is it's not about 32bit, 26bit, emulation, embedded or anything, it's that ROL don't believe Castle own RISC OS so they won't pay them any money

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 16/06/04 8:23PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Castle terminates RISCOS Ltd. licence:

Damn Castle for bringing a 32bit OS and an Iyonix computer to market, I hate them for destroying RISC OS, without Castle we could have been using Omega computers and emulators by now.

I could also claim that I bought ROS, but if I hadn't it would be pretty stupid, when, in the future, someone requires proof.

So what you're saying is ROL don't think that Castle really bought ROS, they just nicked it. Makes sense really, what RISC OS company would have made enough money to buy it. And their plan when someone asked was to distract them with shiny objects?

I love stuff like this: "their hack of the OS", really making your case there. In what way is a 32bit RISC OS with HAL a hack?

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 16/06/04 6:41PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Castle terminates RISCOS Ltd. licence:

1. Where's ROL's comment on this? In the future

2. What have ROL apparently done wrong? Broken terms of their agreement

3. Why did it take 12 months for CTL to make a decision on withdrawing their licence? Because they wanted to give them a chance

4. Have ROL agreed to the withdrawal? See 1

5. Why are CTL delaying a possible source of income until ROL fulfil their legal obligations? See 3

6. What are these legal obligations? To abide by said contract

7. Will CTL licence ROL to third parties on the same terms as ROL did? Probably similar

8. What do the discussions CTL are having with ROL's shareholders about finding a way to offer RO4 and Select to users actually involve? Ask the shareholders

9. If CTL were to consider selling RO4 to VA distributers as non-desktop use, because you could embed a Windows box, what was to stop people embedding RiscStations or RiscPCs? I would think the problem with VA is the not ARM thing. Either that or Castle are just making everyone stop because of ROL

10. Who actually owns the copyright to the changes to RO4, and the extensions in Select? Everything after 4 years: ROL, so from 2003 onwards

11. Do the extensions in Select count as changes to the core OS? Some would, the core OS changes.

12. Were CTL's demands reasonable and legitimate as far as ROL were concerned? Probably not, because ROL didn't comply

13. Why did ROL refuse CTL's demands if they thought they were reasonable, and as such their only form of income would likely vanish? Because if they complied their main form of income would likely vanish (VRPC)

Speculation is fun.

Who've have guessed that imj would be anti Castle

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 16/06/04 6:21PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On RISCOS Ltd. reveal development database:

> Both come with a top-notch Web browser Well, there's IE, source of 50% of security holes for the past 5 years, and Safari, based on an open source browser. ROS has no free one yet, but people are working on various options.

> email client OE? Funny. Messenger is free and better.

> media player Codecs and an video player API. The player part is easy.

> text editor Edit is better than Notepad by about 1AU, StrongEd, Zap, triv.

> image viewer Although the XP picture viewer isn't great, the printing stuff is good. Thump is better.

> basic movie editor Cineworks?

> Apple also provide an organiser !Organizer, very cheap anyway.

> jukebox (iTunes). There are 101 audio players for ROS, although I don't think any have library functions.

So apart from the browser, the only problem is bundling all this free stuff with the OS? Half of it is anyway, Castle and ROL both have free software with their systems. Maybe you want some kind of system like debian and linux....

> How do you know how much money ROL have? Are you privy to their accounts? Their earlier ones, yes, everyone was. If they had enough money from ROS4 they would have started on the 32bit OS, if they had enough money to wait until they'd finished Adjust they wouldn't have raised cash via subscriptions for Select

> As far as I can see, they employ at least one engineer A sign of a company with lots of money?

> and have found the time for said engineering staff to mess around with rounded buttons, graduated backdrops and the structure of !Boot The alternative being to start work on 32bit/java/browser/media player and run out of money before they had anything to sell.

> Yes, I would rather have seen ROL spend their time on useful things that others can do for nearly free. What guarantee was there that MW would port GIMPrint or David McEwan would write a media player? Then they couldn't have improved the OS as well, and MW and DM couldn't have done that work as they didn't work for ROL. None, but they did, as did Photodesk, and the Kino(Amp) people. Also now everyone has the ability to have these features, not just Select owers

> Why should a RISC OS user pay for Oregano or use less-capable browsers? Because they chose to use an OS with a small user base. Same reason they have to pay more for the hardware.

> It is the responsibility of the OS developer to develop and bundle such utilities. That's the way it works nowadays. It's hardly radical or The Only Way To Save RISC OS - it's copying the market leaders in order to survive as a viable platform. Attempting to play catchup with Microsoft isn't a sane plan, you can't win.

It's the responsibility of ROL to keep existing, it seems unlikely that your suggestions would help that cause. Of course if they do that by creating emulators that's also crazy.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 08/06/04 2:31PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Wakefield 2004 show report:

ircnet.demon.co.uk #riscos ?? motherboards <Sprout> motherboards : RiscPC motherboard versions: 197,000 issue 1, mk1, 8bit sound, 4 pin audio connector; 197,100 issue 1a, mk2, 8bit sound, 5pin audio; 1208,000 issue 2, mk3, 16bit sound, crap video; J233, issue 3, mk4, 16bit sound, supposedly best; Castle version: unknown

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 26/05/04 6:02PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On VirtualRiscPC upgrades to Adjust:

1. But how do you know to work around it, it's another system you need to test on, where the bugs could be in many more places. 2. You need to know about windows drivers, windows firewalls, windows harddrive problems, System Restore, auto running CDs, all those things that run in the background on windows. 3. But what if that's impossible in the short term but possible in the long term? 4. Because not everyone using ROS is running it on Windows. 5. I was thinking more of key combinations, things like DeepKeys.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 08/05/04 3:52PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On VirtualRiscPC upgrades to Adjust:

Disadvantages: 1. Its emulation is incomplete. 2. It's dependent on another OS which means you now have to know about 2 OSes, firewalls, windowsupdate, virus checkers. And with HostFS the Windows programs/viruses can access your RISC OS files. 3. It makes the transition to Windows easier. 4. It discourages native applications that do the equiv to Windows apps. No reason to write a video player, excel file reader, obscure scientific app if they can just run the windows version. 5. Hardware is limited in 2 places instead of 1. Eg keyboard detection, RISC OS can't detect keys that Windows won't pass to it.

That'll do for now.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 07/05/04 11:02PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Adjust in hands of users:

Funniest thing I read today: It has been my experience of XP that it is many things to many people, but at least it is stable, in just less than a year I have had to reinstall it once

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 27/04/04 7:58PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Adjust ROMs in production:

Because what other choice do you have? Unless you want ROL to fail so Castle can buy them out.

It's not hard to send an email to everyone who ordered one, assuming they gave an email address.

But if you tell your customers stuff what's the point in the Foundation?

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 12/04/04 6:06PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Omega MIDI, ethernet progress:

what about Select vs ROS5? oh yeah, same thing.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 18/03/04 07:30AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On NetBook Missing In Action:

If lots of people were willing to pay that much it seems likely that something would appear.

The work Acorn and WSS did for Replay for ROS4 really needs finishing. It was a way to allow video decoders to output to Replay without having to mess about with the image filesystem route. There's no standard for playing video on RISC OS anymore, we have Replay, Cino, Kino(amp), Cineroma.

The Flash specs are freely available for anyone who wants to write a player, and apparently the realvideo codecs are free for r&d and 25c/unit for commercial use, they're probably worried about MS's wmv format so want it working on all sorts of portable devices.

CLI java stuff seems ok, but the RISC OS specific parts are a lot of work.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 11/03/04 1:13PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On NetBook Missing In Action:

So you'd be willing to pay 150ukps or whatever for flash/java/ra/wmp?

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 10/03/04 9:36PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On NetBook Missing In Action:

The same place the support for Acorn replay files, adfs discs, filetypes, impression publisher files etc are in Windows.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 10/03/04 5:19PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On NetBook Missing In Action:

!Alarm has Network Time Setting -- useful if your clock is always wrong. I always thought the OS clock should be able to be reset from the hardware clock too. ANT Suite has a util to set time, and there's free versions.

ZeroConfig Internet Setup -- useful for beginners, is this the same as in Windows uses too?

Ethernet Settings can be changed without requiring a reboot. -- finally this has been added to configure. Was it just Acorn being lazy before?

Direct Share option for all filing systems and individual directories. -- seems useful, how does this work, drag to Sharefs window?

RISC OS machine acts as DNS Server -- handy.

Image File Rendering System -- probably my favourite thing in Select, if just for the concept. What programs make use of this? It does seem to conflict with the ImageFS way of solving a similar problem though.

Sprite re-ordering in !Paint -- PaintFS does this IIRC, but much easier it being in Paint.

SpriteExtend supporting 1:2 sampled JPEGs/EXIF -- Was this the patch released on the newsgroups?

PNG Import to !Draw -- Does Draw keep them as PNG files or are they converted to sprites?

SVG Export from !Paint -- I assume that should be !Draw, similar situation to PNGs and JPEGs

Local flood fill with 'transparent' in !Paint -- Yay

Sprites11 support -- Would work well with very high res desktops as seen on Iyonix

Graphics filtering/conversions -- ImageFS or something else?

Generic fast Image Viewer -- Very useful.

Any filetype supported by IFR as Backdrops -- I have windows covering my desktop

!Paint and !Draw support saving of choices -- isn't there a ROS4 configure plugin for this? Useful if you don't want to edit config files by hand.

Euro currency symbol - The Castle Docs say symbol is at &80 (128) whereas in fact it is at &A4(164) as in RISC OS 4. -- What does that mean? Where's my tick symbol?

Hi res teletext MODE 7 N Y Twice normal resolution - (who uses Mode 7 anymore though.) Unicode font system N Y For alphabets with > 256 characters/glyphs (we mostly speak English) -- aka "I don't need it", "I don't care"

DOSFS handles disc titles properly -- I assume Castle are referring to 1 letter disk labels/titles

Full technical documentation available Y N Many calls in 5 are not documented e.g Wimp_Ext 13 -- [link] . Now where can I see Select documention?

FileSwitch now able to reference path variables through $ Y N e.g Music:$ for <Music$Path> -- What does the filer display, just the files from the first dir in the path?

Built in support for CD Database -- Like CDViewer CDFS supporting Joliet long filenames -- CDROMFS CDFS supporting RockRidge long filenames -- There a patch for CDFS to do this Mimemap now used for Filetype conversions -- very useful

Scroll wheel mice -- Is support in Select still better than in ROS5 now? Active highlighting of selected files when dragging. -- useful Re-organisable Window Furniture -- Now when I come round to fix your computer I won't be able to use it, yay. Seems to be making it possible to make RISC OS more like Windows Refresh option on Filer -- very useful All standard applications now support the Universal Clipboard. -- very useful, although I prefer the instant copy/move/delete, it's quicker.

Updated Advanced Configuration plugins -- 1001 configuration options, all with the same shaped sprites, bad UI choice.

Hardware Profiles -- might be useful, just seems to be making !Boot even more complicated. Of course Middleton doesn't want users editting things inside !Boot. I prefer a pre Uniboot structure, 1 Tasks dir, 1 Predesk dir, 1 System modules dir. I don't need to support multiple OS versions on my computer, it just means I have to search 2/3/4/5 different dirs for the file I want.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 09/03/04 10:46PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On NetBook Missing In Action:

CDFS supporting Joliet long filenames -- CDROMFS JPEG export from !Paint -- CFSI Filer sort by number and lowercase -- don't really care PNG support -- spr2png etc, like jpeg, obviously slower to do than having native support Multi User support -- don't care, quite a few 3rd party PD progs do similar CMYK sprite handling -- don't need it True translucent sprite plotting -- don't care Alpha channel sprites -- don't care AppleTalk networking in ROM -- Who uses AppleTalk anyway now, do Apple? AppleTalk networks your machine to Apple Macs -- ditto Rounded buttons possible in windows -- don't care Attempting to delete !Boot gives a warning -- don't care Thumbnailing in Filer -- Thump Recycle bin -- don't care, plenty of 3rd party PD Cut and paste in icons -- !Writable

Any more usful features in Select?

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 08/03/04 9:11PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On RISC OS 4.39 and 4.02 pricings confirmed:

How do you configure OE to not show html emails?

A broken email program is much worse than no email program.

"Not just error boxes, but dialogue boxes too" On RISC OS or Windows?

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 26/02/04 3:43PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On RISC OS 4.39 and 4.02 pricings confirmed:

> XP has solved an awful lot of the issues that windows had compared to RISC OS Which are?

> it is also streets ahead in look and feel for the user. What's changed so drastically that it's now ahead of RISC OS?

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 24/02/04 2:58PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On DIY Iyonix mobo mod job to cure freezes:

Noone gets my humor

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 31/01/04 9:42PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On MicroDigital owners club sees light of day:

Maybe they can exchange for an omega then exchange the omega for cash.

*rename bizarroworld microdigitalworld

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 29/12/03 10:10PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Castle confident in Scotland:

Demonstrate what new tasks you can achieve with the extra CPU power/stuff that would make upgrading worth the money.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 11/12/03 4:47PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Finnybank merges Acorn Publisher, Acorn User:

Jolly bad show, say what!

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 06/12/03 7:39PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Finnybank merges Acorn Publisher, Acorn User:

Mystery Oak killer made from glass and movable pieces of fences

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 05/12/03 09:17AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Please Stop the Madness:

Unsurprisingly Axel's very annoyed

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 25/11/03 1:07PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Please Stop the Madness:

You mean *a* decent hardware architecture and no way to compete against American companies 1000s of times your size. Everyone knows the IBM PC architecture is a pile of bodges built on top of a shaky foundation, why do you think they're trying to replace most of it?

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 20/11/03 3:42PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Please Stop the Madness:

When was there free speech? in which country?

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 11/11/03 5:19PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On RiscPC production cease rumoured:

So lots of people hate me, what's the problem?

Have there been other examples of expanable case designs?

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 08/11/03 12:13AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On RiscPC production cease rumoured:

The Iyonix is too expensive The Iyonix is too boring That one's not going to be changed soon then

What other computers have been produced for almost 10 years?

I expect quite a few RiscPC sales were for computers in industry doing specific tasks.

RiscPC 1699, Iyonix, cheaper.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 08/11/03 11:32AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On VirtualRiscPC network upgrade pulled:

As anyone knows benchmarks aren't the whole story, of course the person selling the machine would give the results that showed his machine in the best light. Just because one system has faster benchmarks than another doesn't make it better, it makes it faster at those benchmarks.

> I'm biased See

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 01/11/03 9:52PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On VirtualRiscPC network upgrade pulled:

Only if you believe in some random benchmarks from the people selling you the other machine.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 01/11/03 1:01PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On R-Comp offers RISC OS emulation solution:

Compability reasons = we're not compatible with standards. Still, using a RiscPC at work up until now is an achievement.

What are the implications of CMT when using a SMT computer?

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 16/10/03 3:20PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On R-Comp offers RISC OS emulation solution:

If you're going to change CPUs why go for the one most likely not to succeed? Apple are already complaining that the CPUs they use aren't fast enough because the designers are thinking more about embedded uses.

It still amuses me that the place where ARM is most suited, portables, is where a RISC OS machine doesn't exist. Castle are now in a better position than ROL to get RISC OS running on a Psion though.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 12/10/03 11:04AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On AdvantageSix launches new VirtualRPC based PC :

It's against my religion to give any money to Microsoft, they sponser computer terrorism.

We have Castle making new ARM based machines, and ROL allowing emulated machines to exist, where does this leave MD?

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 11/10/03 12:06AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On AdvantageSix launches new VirtualRPC based PC :

You're saying that people will buy a PC and VRPC, and then only buy software for Windows? Why did they buy VRPC then? Surely the point is RISC OS software is better to use even when it's xMHz slower. 95% of computer time is spent waiting for user input.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 09/10/03 11:18PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On AdvantageSix launches new VirtualRPC based PC :

irc is the place pirates hang out though, so it's not quite a fair survey.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 09/10/03 2:50PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On AdvantageSix launches new VirtualRPC based PC :

[link] although our drives don't seem to be within their date range they're often not seen by the bios.

How many people do you know who buy software to run under emulation?

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 09/10/03 10:21AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Omega ethernet saga continues:

stdev said: > Last night I could have had the following conversation with my "other half":

me: "Would you like me to do the washing up?"

her: "No, I'm quite capable of doing the washing up myself, thankyou"

Several minutes later, getting late...

me: "It's getting late - are you /sure/ you don't want me to help"

her: "Look, I've told you that I've arranged to have the washing up done. How and when it gets done is none of your concern"

There's still dirty dishes in the sink.

This morning I heard my "other half" commenting to a friend that I hadn't done the washing up last night..... ------------ Coming soon: !DishWasher

The moral of this story is: Don't plan to eat dinner until you see the clean plates on the table.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 23/09/03 8:29PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Virtual License:

It doesn't. The licence, a copy of the software, and VRPC costs about twice as much.

The reason is to encourage piracy.

A SA RPC is cheaper, 2nd hand.

I'd like to buy it, but I don't want to. And I hate laptops.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 03/09/03 5:24PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Shipping Omega first impressions:

So point out the successor.

"Why don't you buy an Iyonix" - "Because software x doesn't work"

The "Doesn't work" list of popular software shouldn't be that big, easier than going through everything you use and searching a list of all the software that does work.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 11/08/03 11:15AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Shipping Omega first impressions:

But if it's on the other existing list it means it does. If 90% of stuff works a not works list is useful.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 11/08/03 08:10AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Shipping Omega first impressions:

I want a list of incompatible software, much more useful, and hopefully much shorter.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 10/08/03 10:27PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Oregano 2 welcomes new master Oregano UK Ltd.:

Pity someone moderated my comment down so you weren't likely to see it then.

It's only recently that the spec's been free, and it's very complicated, of course, so I expect it to take a while before there's an open source version to port. Plus there's already a closed source linux player, which will probably slow down the production of an open source version. One can also licence MM's code.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 09/08/03 10:21PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Oregano 2 welcomes new master Oregano UK Ltd.:

moss: You can download the Flash spec pretty easily though

Fresco has the image and JS on/off buttons on the toolbar, that alone makes it great

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 09/08/03 11:00AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Imagining RISC OS and PMT:

[link] seems to works for me, as linked to from the wimp2 page

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 05/08/03 3:03PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Comments on the Microdigital Alpha:

And for those without Select, [link] WimpLog which works with Doggysoft's Syslog.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 03/08/03 11:53AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Comments on the Microdigital Alpha:

There's an error logging program too, so you can see all the errors after you miss them.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 03/08/03 00:23AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Comments on the Microdigital Alpha:

Single tasking error messages aren't the same thing, but agreed, they shouldn't occur.

Two possibilities: 1. The OS fixes it, of course the app isn't expecting that, so the app will have to be paused until the error is removed, so no interaction with the app, including redraw.

2. Don't use them when writing apps. More work for the programmer of course, which is why this doesn't happen much. See MovieDB for a good example of not using single tasking error boxes.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 02/08/03 8:15PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Imagining RISC OS and PMT:

> > "Should have probably fixed that then." > Yeah - the traditional way of doing it is to pop Linux on the box. Funny how most people don't have that problem.

> > "Race it against an Iyonix for a fair comparison." > It boots in around 10 seconds, including starting NFS and Print servers, a commerical web server, X Windows, and loads of stuff extra. If I removed lots of stuff from it so it were functionally identical, such as cron, sshd and such, it'd prolly boot in 4 or 5, and most of that is the BIOS and X starting. Using another GUI system, like Fresco, would yeild another startup.

> The Iyonix's boot time is only "quick" because it loads so little, because of the lack of modern features in the OS. (It'd boot even quicker if the OS did proper caching and buffering.)

It does the bios thing, the GUI thing, file sharing, filer, task manager, app launcher, editor, display manager, in about the same time.

> > "It's 437.9 times more useful than every other OS without a booting harddisc."

> Not only have you made the number up, you've made the entire 'fact' up. Well duh, obviously. > I like that. Good. > (I have a Linux box downstairs with no hard disc, just ROM. It boots into X, has Mozilla, Dia, and Vim on it. [A browser, graphics tool, text editor] And the possibility of running other applications available on other UNIX boxes as if they were running locally. Not without a network cable.

I have an A7000 with no hard disc, just ROM. It boots into a GUI and runs everything over the network, what's the big deal? Been doing that kind of thing for about 20 years.

> mavhc in trolling and completely wrong unshocker! Who's on the RISC OS site saying RISC OS sucks?

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 02/08/03 4:55PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Comments on the Microdigital Alpha:

That's errors though, I'm talking about normal usage of the application. Eg Open app's config window, for some reason the rest of the windows app is now inaccessable.

Open Save box, same.

You can't open a menu and type at the same time either.

This combined with the no overlapping windows problem makes Windows a joke to do any actual work on.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 02/08/03 11:01AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Imagining RISC OS and PMT:

> When I was still using RISC OS daily, my machine would crash at least once a day. Should have probably fixed that then.

> More when I was developing software. That's the real problem.

> Today, my Linux box boots faster than my RISC OS box ever did, thanks to fast hard discs and CPUs. Race it against an Iyonix for a fair comparison.

> Speed of booting's no longer an argument. Yeah, sure, it boots damn quick without a boot scructure, but then the machine isn't actually all that useful It's 437.9 times more useful than every other OS without a booting harddisc. Shift boot, find !System, Scrap, drag a MDF to the monitor icon and you're done. Run the same configure program and use the same filer to fix the problem. Or just play a game.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 02/08/03 10:57AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Imagining RISC OS and PMT:

> ARX (the OS that was meant to run on it, and had PMT) was woefully behind schedule. And was apparently slow.

> Then there was RISC iX. Acorn's UNIX, which had PMT Any was apparently slow.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 31/07/03 08:31AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Comments on the Microdigital Alpha:

How strange, my previous post got deleted. Here it is again:

It's easy to tell them apart, the ones with blue title bars are over complex, slow, and for some reason use modal dialog boxes, have no way of viewing print margins (surely essential in any print based work) and require you to move the mouse to open the menu. The ones with cream title bars just work.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 30/07/03 12:49AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On PCI for the masses:

You just get 170 and leave them for a year.

Anyway, it all sounds cool, but where is it? If it actually worked properly wouldn't there be fanfares everywhere? Unless they're building by hand and don't want too many orders right now.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 23/07/03 5:04PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On PCI for the masses:

Maybe MD said none of the owners could publish reviews/benchmarks. The last people who did never got any more support for their Omega, and updates would seem to be a vital part of the package ATM.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 22/07/03 11:08AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Castle FAQ on RISC OS buy out:

Could the work done in Aemulor be used to allow current CMT apps to run in a new PMT RISC OS?

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 20/07/03 00:08AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Comments on the Microdigital Alpha:

See, lots of people at school used the same Acorns we did, yet can't see their greatness, because they're stupid.

The point about money going out of the market is if you assume people have a finite amount of money to spend on computers and they choose an Alpha over a pure ARM/RISC OS machine, only, say, 10% of the money is going to the RISC OS market opposed to 100% (maybe 60% once they've paid for componants), of course if said person isn't going to spend money on an ARM/RISC OS machine it's an improvement.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 17/07/03 08:25AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Castle buys RISC OS from Pace:

Or the 17" flatscreen hires one with digital inputs?

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 07/07/03 01:27AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On VirtualRiscPC freed from Alpha laptop?:

RISC OS is accessing ARM on the emulator, it's not a RISC OS emulator, it's a 32bit Acorn computer emulator with RISC OS running on it (or ARM Linux). Dunno about stuff like HostFS though.

Also: Not all HALs are created equal.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 06/07/03 09:58AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Vantage 1.10 finally released:

Copy protection so good even the author's can't use it.

Still, not as bad as the ULA based stuff on the BBC, a slight change in the hardware broke it. Impossible to crack without a complete emulation of the hardware though.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 30/06/03 00:30AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Wakefield show news:

Hmm, either a bug that I can't post to the main page because I took so long to write it someone else had already posted the 30th comment, or I wrote too much. Anyway:

> Hey, I'm _not_ saying that Iyonix doesn't have good things to offer. I'd die for Select on Iyonix really

Good

> You've mentioned some petty little things on your "advantages over Select" list and ignored the humungous list of things that Select does that RO 3.7^H^H^H5 doesn't do.

Of course I ignored them, that's your side of the argument, I can't play both sides at once, I'd get confused. My point is it's not "nothing". ROS5 is based on the same code as ROL got, so about 3.9, plus anything they wanted from ROS4 that ROL gave them.

> You've even managed to cock that list up, too. Sprites11 is supported by Select and I dunno what "Thumb stuff" you mean anyway.

As in Thumb ARM code. I dunno, never used an Iyonix, or Select recently, just reading lists of their websites.

> And you're bang on when you say "Why would anyone have a reason to develop any app for Select only" -- they wouldn't, if not using the key new Select features! Spread the userbase as wide as possible.

Indeed, so any new software will be, most likely, 32bit compatible and not need Select.

> As far as ROL/Castle go, the blah I heard was that Castle didn't even ask ROL at all! Quite a number of ex-Pace folks at Castle, see...

I think I heard similar in 2000, still, free market. I never thought splitting the OS and hardware into different companies would work well. See RiscStation not wanting to pay for hardware independance (wonder if they want to pay Castle, hehe). It works with Microsoft because MS is so big they can a) afford to pay themselves, and b) the hardware people have no real choice. If Castle had no choice they would have probably paid up, but it's to their advantage to be the only hardware company with a 32bit OS, as long as they don't kill the market on the way of course.

NeilWB> Explain what? I'm saying Iyonix is buggered as it's GUI is pure pants compared to Select, IMO.

Be more precise, exactly what's so different. RISC OS 2 GUI is better than everything else not RISC OS so it's not "buggered" unless it's broken.

Where are the investigative journalists to break open this Castle/Pace/ROS5/ROL story? Or do they already know but don't want to publish?

> What reason do ROL have to add HAL to Select if they've no customers for that? Select could have been 32bitted just like RO 3.7 was 32bitted (afaik most of the work was done at Pace, so ROL should/could have access to that anyway).

3.9. The reason is R&D, but they obviously can't afford that. If they had HAL they'd be able to do lots more things (like fail to open doors), and sell it.

Odd that they best place an ARM chip is better (on a battery) is where they're using x86.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 10/05/03 2:15PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Dead software and OvationPro:

And as usual Windows conspires to lose my text, let's try again.

O-Pro-dow: Good, unfinished, crashes occasionally, odd, like using unix X progrms on RISC OS. There are a few Windowsy GUI bits, but mostly it's much better, I thought I found a non resizable dialog box that could have used a resize button, but I can't find it now. Needs either instant update of things like zoom, or the ability to press Adjust. Toolbars seem to go missing, think they might be off the bottom of the screen.

There are print borders, woohoo, but they don't seem to work, in fact printing anything seems to go wrong, d'oh.

With a bit more work it could be the best program on Windows, ever, 2! Although I haven't played with Windows Textease, the RISC OS verison is very cool though, I love the instant wrapping of text around graphics as you drag, every DTP program needs this.

As far as its impact on the RISC OS version goes, I see it as a benifit, previously everything else had to be compatible with Windows, now the tables have turned.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 07/05/03 11:30AM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

On Castle unleash Iyonix UDMA100:

Except Iyonix only has 4MB of flash ram.

 is a RISC OS Usermavhc on 26/04/03 7:04PM
[ Reply | Permalink | Report ]

Search the archives

Today's featured article

  • Interview with a ROS Open shareholder
    Andrew Hodgkinson talks of his time at Tematic
     27 comments, latest by markee174 on 22/7/06 7:27PM. Published: 16 Jul 2006

  • Random article

  • R-Comp gobble Datapower 2
    And Image Outliner. R-Comp's ex-Iota title promises updates
     10 comments, latest by diomus on 19/2/03 1:08PM. Published: 15 Feb 2003

  • Useful links

    News and media:
    IconbarMyRISCOSArcSiteRISCOScodeANSC.S.A.AnnounceArchiveQercusRiscWorldDrag'n'DropGAG-News

    Top developers:
    RISCOS LtdRISC OS OpenMW SoftwareR-CompAdvantage SixVirtualAcorn

    Dealers:
    CJE MicrosAPDLCastlea4X-AmpleLiquid SiliconWebmonster

    Usergroups:
    WROCCRONENKACCIRUGSASAUGROUGOLRONWUGMUGWAUGGAGRISCOS.be

    Useful:
    RISCOS.org.ukRISCOS.orgRISCOS.infoFilebaseChris Why's Acorn/RISC OS collectionNetSurf

    Non-RISC OS:
    The RegisterThe InquirerApple InsiderBBC NewsSky NewsGoogle Newsxkcddiodesign


    © 1999-2009 The Drobe Team. Some rights reserved, click here for more information
    Powered by MiniDrobeCMS, based on J4U | Statistics
    "Thanks for the unkind comments. Why are the young such ****s? "
    Page generated in 0.6257 seconds.